Some Memories Just Won't Die

FIC: Sad Song Challenge for the Tea Room
Title: Some Memories Just Won't Die
Author: PJ
New OC: Trevor & Gage

Not beta'd so you guessed it, all mistakes are mine.




The lyrics of a long forgotten song echoed in Gage's mind as he set about fixing dinner. He hadn't heard the song in several years and then this morning there it was, playing on his favorite country oldies station. The song put words to the questions playing in his confused mind.

You say it's over
You say it's through
It was a long long time ago
And he means nothing to you
Oh but I heard you whisper
Someone's name in your sleep last night
Baby admit it
Some memories just won't die


Several times in the last week he had woken to his lover moaning out another's name. "Shh," Gage comforted as he gently rubbed his hand over Trevor's broad back. "Shh, it's ok," he repeated until the other man quieted.

Lately Gage caught a faraway look in Trevor's eyes, a sadness that peeked out past those dark pools. Trevor tried to hide it from him but Gage could see it. "Is everything alright?" he asked more than a few times.

Oh some memories just won't die
Some feelings just won't leave
Oh no matter how hard you try
And I know every now and then
You still think of him
I see it in your eyes
Some memories just won't die


"Everything's great, honey," Trevor answered on his way to set the table.

"Fine," Gage snapped in a voice he didn't recognize and blushed at his reaction.

The kitchen got quiet and Gage turned his head to see his lover standing there, one eyebrow raised in question.

"Sorry," he mumbled hoping, it was enough.

Trevor crossed the room, taking Gage in his arms. "What's going on in that head of yours, sweetheart?" he whispered gently kissing Gage's forehead.

"Nothing, Trev, I'm just tired," he mumbled. "I shouldn't have snapped at you, I'm really sorry."

Trevor studied his brat for a few seconds before he asked, "Aren't you sleeping well?" Then he laughed, "Maybe I can help you with that tonight."

"Yeah, maybe," Gage grinned.

I thought my loving
would help you forget
But something tells me
You're not over him yet
Something's haunting you
Way down deep inside
Am I losing you
To a memory that won't die


Gage did sleep. Making gentle love usually relaxed him and tonight was no different. But he woke to Trevor thrashing about calling Dean's name again. "Trev, wake up." Gently shaking the struggling man he tried to coax him out of his dream, "Trevor, it's ok, wake up."

Groggy, Trevor opened his eyes trying to focus, "Huh? What's the matter, babe?"

Gage wiped the sweat from Trevor's face with a sheet. "You were dreaming, Trev. You woke me up again."

"Sorry, babe," his partner said. Gage watched as he climbed out of bed and shuffled into the bathroom. "Try to go back to asleep."

Gage knew something is wrong. He could feel it. But he didn't know how to ask his lover why he was dreaming about his old partner or why he was calling his name out in the middle of the night. He knew Dean was an old love. He knew it was a long time ago. And he knew Trev was dreaming about him. What he didn't know was why.

And some memories just won't die
Some feelings just won't leave
Oh no matter how hard you try
And I know every now and then
You still think of him
I see it in your eyes
Some memories just won't die


Throwing the covers back, Gage grabbed a pair of boxers, stumbled out the bedroom door and down the stairs. He had just reached the back door when he heard Trevor on the stairs. Slipping on his boxers he reached for the knob.

"Freeze!" Trevor's deep voice boomed across the room.

Gage opened the door and stepped outside. "No, I need to think. Just leave me along for now. I'll be back,"

Trevor bolted through the door and started down the steps before he realized Gage was still on the porch. Coming back up the steps he paused studying the man before him. "Gage, baby, what's going on?" he finally asked.

Gage didn't know what to say so he didn't say anything and he didn't look at Trevor. He kept his eyes focused on the tongue and grooved porch boards until he saw a pair of bare feet come in to view.

"Gage, look at me," Trevor instructed. When he got no response he pushed Gage over the handrail and landed a couple of stinging smacks on Gage's bare thighs. "You don't just walk out in the middle of the night," he said as he stood his lover back up. "Now tell me what's wrong."

Shocked that Trev would smack him in the open even if it was the middle of the night, Gage tried rubbed the sting out. "Ok, I'll tell you, but can we go back inside?" he whined.

"Sure," Trevor said, holding the door open for them. He followed Gage back into the kitchen. Pointing at the table he directed, "Sit!" He moved to get two bottles of water.

Gage sat at the table and waited for Trev.

"Ok, spill it."

Not really knowing how to say what was bothering him, Gage just spit it out. "I need to know why you are dreaming about Dean," he blurted out. "Are you two getting back together?"

"Sweetheart, what are you talking about?" confusion sounding clear in Trevor's voice.

"You wake me up every night calling his name," Gage confessed. "Why are you dreaming about him if you aren't seeing him?"

Trevor shook his head. "You don't seem to have much faith in us, little boy," he said.

Gage blushed. "I love you, Trev. I don't want to lose you."

"I know, baby, I know. This is my fault." Trevor got up and left Gage sitting there while he left the room.

Gage watched him go and breathed a sigh of relief when the man he loved returned to the kitchen. Trevor didn't say anything, just dropped a folded up piece of paper on the table.

Gage carefully unfolded the paper and read the words. When he finished he carefully refolded it, got up and went to his man. "I'm sorry I doubted you Trev," he apologized. "I should have known better."

"It's ok, honey, I just never thought to tell you." Trevor said pulling Gage into a hug. "I wish you would have told me sooner that I was dreaming about Dean. I guess his death hit me harder than I thought." They stood together, Trevor holding his lover tight. "I guess it really is true what they say, baby. Some memories just won't die."

SOME MEMORIES JUST WON'T DIE
(written by Bobby Springfield, performed by Marty Robbins)
from the 1982 Columbia LP, COME BACK TO ME, FC 37995

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9BnD4ODgME

No comments:

Post a Comment